Children’s Ministry Director
Employer: All Saints Church, Durham, NC
The Children’s Ministry Director will work under the supervision of the Rector and in partnership with pastoral staff and parents to disciple the children of All Saints Church (birth through 5th grade) to know, love, and worship Almighty God.
Develop and implement a compelling and comprehensive vision and strategy for ministry to children (birth through fifth grade) at All Saints Church. This vision should enhance the overall vision of the church. This will include communicating the vision, curriculum development and planning, and organizing special events.
Lead the Children’s Ministry Team. Recruiting, training, and pastoring this team of leaders and volunteers who will be responsible: to disciple our children, organize special events, and partner together with parents and clergy to accomplish the vision and strategy of All Saints Church among our children. Organize appreciation events for Children’s Ministry volunteers and staff.
Plan and organize Sunday morning programming and services. Oversee and administrate the nursery, preschool, and elementary school Sunday offerings on Sunday Mornings. Currently these include: Nursery care and children’s church at both services and nursery and faith formation classes for children (birth to fifth grade) during the Sunday School hour. This will include regularly leading and teaching.
Hire, train, and supervise paid childcare workers for Sundays and other events.
Minister to parents and families. Creatively equip parents to disciple their children and connect parents and families in this essential responsibly. It is expected that the director plan quarterly gatherings, teaching sessions, and/or events for parents and families to create community and equip and aid parents to disciple their children. The Director will lead the First Communion process for children in partnership with the rector and/or other clergy.
Pursue relationships with parents and their kids outside of Sunday mornings: play dates, coffee dates, etc. The goal of these relationships is two-fold: to build trust and to discern needs. This will come primarily through watching and listening. Out of these relationships new insights and ventures for family ministry and children’s ministry will naturally arise.
Coordinate childcare and programs for special events and services: Weeknight Lenten Soup Suppers, New Comers Luncheons, Holy Week and Advent services.
Administer Children’s Ministry. This includes but is not limited to: seeing that rooms are set-up and in order in the appropriate manner and timeframe; seeing that the caregivers are scheduled and present in the appropriate venue at the appropriate time; coordinating background checks on caregivers and volunteers; maintaining accurate attendance and safety data; and ordering supplies, making copies, organizing children’s spaces as needed, and keeping records of financial spending.
- Possess a vibrant faith in Jesus evidenced by a life of worship, obedience, and Spiritual growth.
- Continue to learn and grow as a disciple and minister of the gospel.
- Demonstrate a visible sense of calling to serve and disciple children and parents.
- Pray for the children of All Saints Church and their families.
- Have experience with and awareness of children and their development process (emotionally, spiritually, relationally).
- Agree with and the vision of All Saints Church.
- Maintain a personal and professional lifestyle of high Christian character.
- Demonstrate skill and execution of administrative and organizational tasks.
- Be effective at building teams, leading teams and serving on teams.
- Be willing to train, lead, and enter into conflict lovingly and truthfully with others.
- Regularly attend worship at All Saints and actively participate in the overall life of the church.
- Attend and contribute to weekly staff meetings on Wednesdays from 9:00-11:00
- Affirm the Jerusalem Declaration (http://gafcon.org/images/uploads/jerusalemdeclaration.pdf)
- Pass criminal background check.
- Possess the necessary computer skills to use email, create documents, and maintain spread sheets, ect.
- Possess a High school and undergraduate degree.
- Part-time: 25 hours a week
- Reports to: Rector
- Supported by: Children’s Ministry Team made up of a leadership team and dozens of volunteers
- Scope of Ministry: Children birth through fifth grade and their parents
- Start Date: As soon as possible
- Closes: When position is filled
- Compensation: Will be determined by education and experience ($13-$18 an hour)
- To apply: Send resume and cover letter to Rev Thomas Kortus (thomas@allsaints-chd-org)