I want to share three great ways to serve our local community and proclaim the gospel in word and deed. Please take some time to look over this information and do not hesitate to get involved in these opportunities! Eagles’ Nests and ESL classes begin next week! Make an eternal difference by loving people and meeting real needs in our neighborhood. My greatest joy as a priest is seeing people using their gifts for the sake of the gospel and seeing them experience the blessings they receive as they meet Jesus in those they are serving.
I would like to share one of my favorite prayers from the Book of Common Prayer. This prayer for mission time and time again serves to propel me into Jesus; mission to reconcile all things in heaven and on earth to the Father.
Lord Jesus Christ, you stretched out your arms of love on the hard wood of the cross that everyone might come within the reach of your saving embrace: So clothe us in your Spirit that we, reaching forth our hands in love, may bring those who do not know you to the knowledge and love of you; for the honor of your Name. Amen.
Eagles’ Nest Tutors Needed on Tuesday and Thursday Afternoons
EAGLES’ NEST AFTER SCHOOL TUTORING PROGRAM
Eagles’ Nest takes place at All Saints Church and is open to second, third and fourth grade students who are in the most need of reading help. We work hand in hand with Durham Public Schools and have seen tremendous results these past 7 years as we have worked with students.
Tutors are needed for Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4-6 pm. Volunteers are trained in guided reading, supported by Durham Public School ESL teachers and have the opportunity to touch a life with the love of Jesus. Due to the high priority placed on relationships volunteers must commit for the entire 14 week semester, but we do make allowances for traveling or other absences. Most volunteers commit to one day a week and have very positive experience working with the same student for the entire semester or year!
Important Eagles’ Nest information:
- Training will take place on Tuesday, September 6 and Thursday, September 8 from 3:45 – 5:30. Volunteers need only attend one of these training sessions. Of course, we will get you out sooner if we can.
- Tutoring starts on Tuesday, September 13 and Thursday, September 15.
- Contact Laura Yost-Grande for more information or to volunteer: firstname.lastname@example.org
ESL CLASSES – OAK CREEK VILLAGE PARTNERSHIP PROGRAM
SATURDAY MORNINGS AT CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD
Our steamy summer is coming to a close and we’re ramping up to start a new year of English for Speakers of other Languages (ESL)! We’d love to have you volunteer with us for fall semester with prayer support, teaching, conversation partnership, hospitality, registration, or childcare.
This fall we have a committed group of folks sharing leadership responsibilities from several Christian denominations–I look forward to working with each of them! We are still looking for a registration team leader–so let me know if you’re interested!
Below are some important dates to consider if you’re going to join us. Please let me know as soon as possible if you have questions–people are already beginning to contact me with volunteer interest! Priority placement will be given to those who were involved last semester, and then it’s first come, first serve!
- Saturday, September 10th 9am-noon in S207 at Church of the Good Shepherd–Volunteer orientation: This is an opportunity to review the program mission, vision, values, and goals, meet your co-volunteers and plan for the semester. Attendance is required for all ESL leadership team members, conversation partners, teachers, registration team members, and childcare workers.
- Saturday, September 17th, 9am-noon at Church of the Good Shepherd–New Student registration: All hands on deck! This is the day we test the new students to determine which classes they’ll join. It is an exciting time of meeting new folks in our community!
- Saturday, September 24th-Saturday November 19th, 9am-11am: Classes are in session!
Volunteer Driver: given the high volume of appointments, volunteers can actually transport refugees to appointments and assist them through the process. After applying, volunteers will receive access to a calendar of appointments. Must have availability during regular business hours.
ESL Conversation Partner: practice conversational English with an individual refugee for at least one hour per week. The time of the meeting is determined by the volunteer and the refugee.
Job Coach: help refugees build a resume, look for work, fill out applications, and learn a strange new ritual called a job interview. Time is flexible and based on volunteer and refugee availability.
For more information CLICK HERE!