Our All Saints Church youth spent the first weekend of April at Caswell Beach with over four hundred other youth from around the state!
The theme of the Spring Youth Retreat was Going Deeper and the students were challenged to grow deeper in their relationship with Jesus and be more bold as ambassadors of Jesus in their everyday lives. It was a great weekend! It was spiritually powerful as we were challenged by the speaking and we grew closer to each other as a community as we spent time together talking and laughing as well.
The youth also enjoyed meeting new friends from around the state, exploring the historic forts at Caswell, playing on the beach, meeting in small groups, playing some crazy games, consuming $30 worth of candy on the ride home, and growing closer together as a group.
Praise God for a great Spring retreat. We are blessed with awesome youth at All Saints!
On the way home, youth shared about their experiences. In their own words…
My favorite part of the retreat was…
- Swimming at the beach
- Joking around with the other youth – particularly the Soviet Russia Jokes!
- Spending time learning about God
- The free time at the beach with friends and getting to know people better. I enjoyed exploring the forts.
- A few of the girls and I were exploring the forts and we found a tunnel that was pitch black. We decided to go down it. We thought it went longer than it did and suddenly we ran into a boulder. But we went down that tunnel and Thomas didn’t. He was too scared!
- Digging a hole so deep that I found water
- Exploring the old forts.
- Playing dodgeball.
- The travel time in the van.
- When we went to the beach and Nathanial and William were making a sand castle and I was helping Glorianna bury herself and building the tower for Mina
- The small group time and having the opportunity to meet new people and hear them articulate their faith.
- Growing closer to God.
- A lot about outreach and sand castle building. I also got to know the other youth a lot better
- That bringing the Word to people who haven’t heard the gospel is really an easy task, but we must have the strength and perseverance to go beyond that which we know and are comfortable.
- Not to address my conflicts through anger.
- God wants us to do things in this world to share his love
- No matter what you do God will always love you.
- That your position in life greatly affects your view of God
- I want to be someone who helps others and makes a difference.
- That God calls us to walk far out of our comfort zone.
- That we really need to give everything over to God – even our plans – and that may be hard for me
- That you should follow your dreams and try to make them a reality, but be open and let God work through you.
- That God created me this way, and he doesn’t make junk
- That no matter what people say or think about me I am unique and beautiful because God made me and God does not make mistakes.
Please pray for our youth:
God our Father, you see your children growing up in an unsteady and confusing world: Show them that your ways give more life than the ways of the world, and that following you is better than chasing after selfish goals. Help them to take failure, not as a measure of their worth, but as a chance for a new start. Give them strength to hold their faith in you, and to keep alive their joy in your creation; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
-Rev. Thomas Kortus